POWER BALLS (Raw Chocolate Balls)
Recipe courtesy of: www.kirawestwick.com.au
- 3 cups any raw nuts, almonds & macadamias taste best
- 1½ cups pitted dates or your favourite dried fruit
- 3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (you can buy this in Dunnes/tesco/supervalu)
- Seeds of one plump vanilla pod or real vanilla extract to taste
- 3-4 tbsp raw cacao, to taste (you can also use 2 tbsp of good quality cocoa powder such as green and blacks)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 1-2 cups extra coconut for rolling
- Process the nuts until they resemble fine breadcrumbs. Add all remaining ingredients
and continue processing until very smooth and the mix starts coming together in a ball—this is the secret to well
2. Taste and adjust any flavours or textures if needed. You do not want the mixture too wet as they will not hold their
shape, or too dry that they will not stick together. If the mix is too dry add more coconut oil. If it is too wet
add more desiccated coconut or cacao. Not sweet enough add more dates.
3. Roll into balls, then in coconut. We like to store and eat ours straight from the freezer.
Keep it SIMPLE! Loading them with lots of different ‘super foods’ may make them healthy, but they often do not taste as good. Second, I make sure the mixture is REALLY smooth before rolling them into nice even balls. EASY! Replace nuts with sunflower seeds for nut free zones.
A great healthy & nutritious snack!